When life gives you Boston Bibb lettuce and chicken, the first thing that comes to mind are lettuce wraps. Our Chicken & Cashew Lettuce Wraps are a favorite but these Thai Larb Salad cups may have just inched them out in a popularity contest.
Fresh herbs & aromatics are responsible for most of the remarkable flavor in this dish, but I must give credit where credit is due and tip my hat to fish sauce. Yes. Fish sauce. I will admit that I feared this ingredient for a long time but I have learned that when balanced with sweet and sour it becomes a recipe changer.
I adore this picture of our buttery sun kissed bibb lettuce cups. They were after all the ‘leftover’ ingredient in the fridge that inspired our Thai Larb Salad. After recently making a Waldorf Salad for a dear friend’s retirement party I ended up with an extra head of this treasured green.
They were the perfect vehicle to deliver the big bold flavors of Thai Larb Salad.
- ½ lb. ground chicken (or pork)
- 1 Tbl. sesame oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 Thai or Serrano chili, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbl. lime juice
- 1 Tbl. fish sauce, or more to taste
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh mint & cilantro leaves
- lettuce cups to serve (preferably Boston Bibb)
- garnish with fresh mint and cilantro and lime wedges
- Prepare all ingredients and have them ready to add to the dish.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add sesame oil and swirl pan to coat. Add ground chicken; using a wooden spoon stir breaking up pieces as it cooks. Add in red onion, shallot and chili pepper. Stir fry for an additional minute. Next add the garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the scallion, mint and cilantro.
- Serve on lettuce cups. Garnish with additional fresh mint and cilantro and lime wedges.
5,729 total views, 2 views today