Thai Larb Salad
When life gives you Boston Bibb lettuce and chicken, the first thing that comes to mind are lettuce wraps. Our Chicken & Cashew Lettuce Wraps are a favorite but these Thai Larb Salad cups may have just inched them out in a popularity contest.
Fresh herbs & aromatics are responsible for most of the remarkable flavor in this dish, but I must give credit where credit is due and tip my hat to fish sauce. Yes. Fish sauce. I will admit that I feared this ingredient for a long time but I have learned that when balanced with sweet and sour it becomes a recipe changer.
I adore this picture of our buttery sun kissed bibb lettuce cups. They were after all the ‘leftover’ ingredient in the fridge that inspired our Thai Larb Salad. After recently making a Waldorf Salad for a dear friend’s retirement party I ended up with an extra head of this treasured green.
They were the perfect vehicle to deliver the big bold flavors of Thai Larb Salad.
Thai Larb Salad
- 1/2 lb. ground chicken or pork
- 1 Tbl. sesame oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 Thai or Serrano chili thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 Tbl. lime juice
- 1 Tbl. fish sauce or more to taste
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint & cilantro leaves
- lettuce cups to serve preferably Boston Bibb
- garnish with fresh mint and cilantro and lime wedges
- Prepare all ingredients and have them ready to add to the dish.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add sesame oil and swirl pan to coat. Add ground chicken; using a wooden spoon stir breaking up pieces as it cooks. Add in red onion, shallot and chili pepper. Stir fry for an additional minute. Next add the garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the scallion, mint and cilantro.
- Serve on lettuce cups. Garnish with additional fresh mint and cilantro and lime wedges.
Christine | No Gojis No Glory
This is right up my alley, a light tasty meal with one of my kitchen staples…ground chicken. I agree, fish sauce can add wonderful flavor to a dish if you use it correctly, and it sounds like you pulled it off. I must try this!! Pinning!
Thanks Christine. I love ground chicken too. It’s always happy when you throw punchy flavors it’s way. I think you’ll love larb.
Becca from ItsYummi!
Your salad looks refreshing and delicious, Libby, and because I’m a bit of a butter lettuce glutton, I do think that I may need to make these SOON! :)
Thank you sweet Becca. I’m with you on butter lettuce, it’s such a treat.
Heidy L. McCallum
Hello! these look amazing! I wanted to let you know I am always impressed with your recipes! I am definitely going to add this to my list!!
Hi Heidy. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. xo Libby