I’m a bit smitten with everything about this soup. From the glorious broth, to the tender chicken, right through the lovely aromatics, Thai Coconut Chicken Soup is perfectly balanced.
I simmered the boneless skinless chicken breast in broth until cooked through, then removed it from the broth and shredded with forks. To the broth I added all the wonderful aromatics. Lemon grass, ginger, garlic, Serrano pepper, cilantro, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar come together to create the delicious broth.
The sliced mushrooms are simmered until tender and then the shredded chicken, scallions, and fresh cilantro and basil are added the end.
When picking up the lemon grass I found these gorgeous edible flowers. I had already chosen this beautiful flower bowl and couldn’t resist adding them to our Thai Coconut Chicken Soup, also known as Tom Kha Gai.
I’ve shared on several occasions that I’m working really hard to make “Healthy Choices” a lifestyle, not a struggle. I’ll be the first to admit that food blogging and my slogan “love to cook, love to eat, love food photography” don’t always go hand in hand with maintaining healthy weight goals. However, I’m proud to say that today I regained my Lifetime Member status at Weight Watchers.
One year ago, I walked through the doors of WW, hoping this would be the time that stuck. You can read more about the past year HERE. The most important thing is that I’ve learned to find balance, have taken off 65 pounds, and as of today have maintained a healthy weight goal for six weeks. Eat right and exercise is the base to my success (along with a great support team).
Shelby came for dinner this week and we all enjoyed this yummy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup. Full of flavor and charm with no guilt attached. Now that’s winning.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth (preferably reduced sodium)
- 1 14-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lemon grass stalk cut into 4 pieces (about 3-inch each), remove woody outer layer.
- 1 Serrano pepper, finely diced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated (about 1 Tbl.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10-12 fresh cilantro sprigs (leaves & stems), finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fish sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- juice of 1½ limes (about 2-3 Tbl.)
- 2 scallion, thinly sliced
- fresh basil and cilantro for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- edible flowers for garnish (optional)
- Cut chicken breast into 4 pieces. Simmer in 1 cup chicken stock until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
- Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, slice and dice remaining ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Use two forks and shred chicken; return to the broth and heat through.
- Remove lemon grass; discard. Serve hot in bowls; garnish with fresh cilantro, basil, scallion, lime wedges, and edible flowers (optional).
3,068 total views, 4 views today