We rarely have a loaf of bread on hand, except when it’s tomato season. So for brunch today I went with a savory French Toast recipe that incorporated fresh herbs, tomatoes, and Indian spices. Masala Egg Toast might be a new favorite.
Combine egg, cream, diced tomato or salsa, scallion, cilantro, Garam masala, ground ginger, salt & pepper. Dip bread slices in mixture, turning so they are well coated and egg mixture is absorbed. Pan fry Masala Egg Toast in butter until golden brown on each side. Serve with spicy tomato jam.
Every delicious bite is bursting with flavor. Garam masala brings a warmth while the scallion and cilantro add just the right fresh herb balance. We had just made a batch of spicy tomato jam the night before, which paired perfectly with the egg toast. It’s nice to have a new easy go-to brunch dish. Masala Egg Toast you’re a keeper.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbl. cream
- 2 scallion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup diced tomato or salsa
- ½ tsp. Garam masala
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- pinch salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- butter for pan frying
- spicy tomato jam or tomato ketchup for serving
- Whisk together eggs, cream, scallion, cilantro, tomato, Garam masala, ginger, salt & pepper in a shallow baking dish. Dip bread slices in egg mixture, turning over so they absorb the liquid.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Pan grill each dipped bread slice until golden brown on both sides. Add additional butter in between batches.
- Serve with spicy tomato jam or tomato ketchup.
3,512 total views, 2 views today