Hanging on to every fresh produce summer moment over here on Lemony Thyme. I’m calling this soup Roasted Veggie & White Bean Chowder because it has a creaminess about it and chowders are amazing. The beautiful thing is the creamy came from the white beans not cream or butter. That puts this soup squarely in our Healthy Choices category.
Our soup began, like most of our soups do, with a sauté of onion, carrots and celery. I decided to roast the next veggie layer of flavors, which consisted of summer squash, zucchini and a gorgeous farmers market ‘very ripe’ yellow tomato. Let’s take a minute to give a shout out to roasted veggies, no matter how you enjoy them. Roasting a pan of diced veggies in a bit of olive oil & fresh herb sprigs for 20 minutes completely elevates their flavors.
This dish was a recipe-in-motion from the start. Since today is the eve of a new work week, I had healthy lunch choices on the brain. My goal was to add very little fat to this recipe and instead let the veggies work their magic. I pureed half of the white beans with some veggie broth to help thicken the soup. The result, our Roasted Veggie & White Bean Chowder had a savory, almost chicken pot pie feel. In the very best way.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 2-3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbl. olive oil, divided
- 2 zucchini, sliced & diced
- 2 summer squash, sliced & diced
- 1 large or 2 small yellow (or red) tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 Tbl. olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add diced onion, carrots, celery, thyme sprigs and Mrs. Dash; sauté until tender.
- Meanwhile, put a single layer of zucchini, squash and tomato onto an olive oil coated shallow baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir and bake for 10 additional minutes; discard thyme sprig and add to Dutch oven.
- Combine half of the beans with 2 cups of broth in blender and puree. Add to Dutch oven with remaining broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt & pepper.
2,483 total views, 4 views today