I discovered a couple things from this recipe. Greek Yogurt makes a pretty darn good substitute for mayonnaise IF you are adding some punchy flavors to it….like cumin, coriander, and orange juice & zest. That’s exactly what makes up the delicious dressing for this Apple Fennel Slaw.
I also discovered that no matter how many ways I prepare it, B is not going to eat fruit. So Apple Fennel Slaw with Orange Cumin Dressing made a lovely side dish with our Oven Fried Chicken. And I had plenty leftover for my lunch the next day.
Recipe note: I would not recommend preparing more than four hours ahead of serving. The dressing flavor became a little over powering by the next day. If you must prepare ahead, wait to toss the fennel mixture in the dressing until just before serving.
- 1 fennel bulb, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 2 apples (I used 1 Granny Smith and 1 Red Delicious), halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 radishes, matchstick cut
- 3 Tbl. fresh mint leaves
- ⅓ cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 3 Tbl. orange juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Toss fennel, apples, radish, and mint leaves in a bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients, then spoon over fennel mixture and toss. Serve or refrigerate up to 4 hours.
11,923 total views, 3 views today