I found this yummy Sausage & Fennel Stuffed Pork Roast recipe in my December Food & Wine magazine. I’ve become a big fan of fennel, especially when combined with fresh herbs and savory aromatics. It was the stuffing that hooked me on this recipe from the start and the end result was absolutely delicious.
Sausage & Fennel Stuffed Pork Roast
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbl. fennel fronds chopped & reserved
- 1 lbs. sweet Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 Tbl. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbl. fresh rosemary chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 3-4 lb. boneless pork roast butterflied to 1-inch thickness
- 2 red onion peeled and quartered
- butcher’s string
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbl. olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and sliced fennel until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage, fennel seeds, rosemary, garlic and pepper. Break up the sausage into small pieces and cook until browned. Season with salt. Transfer mixture to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the eggs and fennel fronds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay pork on work surface. Season with salt & pepper. Spread cooled sausage & fennel mixture over pork. Starting at a long side, roll up the pork. Tie with butcher’s twine at 1-inch spacing. Rub roast with remaining olive oil.
- Place red onions into a baking dish. Place pork roast on top. Bake for 2 hours or until instant read thermometer registers 160 degrees in the center. Baste occasionally with any pan drippings. Allow to rest 15 minutes before slicing. Remove strings and cut into 1-inch thick slices to serve.
6,438 total views, 8 views today