I’ve been looking forward to receiving my 2015 cooking magazine subscriptions (I’m changing it up a bit this year). The first to arrive in the mailbox was BON APPETIT with a big banner across the top that read GET HEALTHY IN 2015. Right on!!
So I promptly made cookies. Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies.
It had rained for 3 days straight. I hadn’t ‘cooked’ anything in forever.
In my defense these Pistachio Oatmeal Sandies fell under their round-up of Sweet-ISH Dessert recipes. The fact that they aren’t overly sweet is exactly what makes them so delicious in a pecan sandie meets oatmeal cookie kind of way.
The dough begins in the food processor or Vitamix in our case. The pistachios and oats are pulsed into small pieces with the flour, baking soda and salt. Don’t worry about uniformly sized pieces. Seeing pieces of delicious pistachio peeking through adds character. The nut mixture is then combined with a minimal amount of sugar and a generous amount of butter.
This lover of ‘cookie dough’ was delighted to discover…No Eggs. I instantly began to fantasize about recipe variations. Pistachio Oatmeal Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Or maybe Double Chocolate Brownies with swirls of cookie dough. I was talking like a mad women who had been cooped up in the house without a sugar splurge for too long. I quickly rolled the dough in parchment paper logs and stashed them in the back of my fridge. Get it together woman.
Monday morning I packed up my parchment logs of heavenly dough and off to the office we went. We have a brand new break room and bigger kitchen that begs to have cookies baking just before 3 o’clock break. These Pistachio-Oatmeal Sandies, served slightly warm, were a great success. Thankfully I saved a few to picture the next day and share with you. They were just as delicious.
If a cookie with two sticks of butter can be light, these are that. And nutty. In the very best way.
Pistachio Oatmeal Sandies
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Place pistachios, oats, flour, salt and soda in your food processor or Vitamix. Pulse several times until pistachios are broken down but still visible.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy; about 5 minutes. Slowly add in nut mixture and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Turn dough out onto parchment paper and finish mixing by hand.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. Shape into 2 logs about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Wrap each in parchment paper and chill until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 5 days in advance.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice dough logs into 1/4-inch thick slices; spaced about 1/2-inch apart. Bake 9-10 minutes until barely golden. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.