There are some recipes (curry, masalas, unstuffed cabbage rolls) that are a challenge to picture. They don’t have the color pop to match their undeniable flavor explosion. This Farmers Market Unstuffed Cabbage Recipe falls squarely into this category.
I didn’t take pictures of the step-by-step process. I anticipated the awkward 6th grade photo-like results with crooked bangs, crooked teeth, and mom’s lipstick on my cheek (she knew deep down in her heart…we were ‘looks’ challenged…at this point in our life…we all were). Thankfully Mom snapped many photos and offered all kinds of assurance that we were swans in a crow pond. Below, might be a fifth grade pic, but it still fits the bill.
Back to this uber simple, overly delicious recipe. Fresh ingredients are the first step to delivering a crowd pleasing recipe. I brought a container of Farmers Market Unstuffed Cabbage Recipe to the office on Monday AND shared it with everyone I could. My work-mates are the best taste-testers ever. I made no apologies for this looks challenged, Healthy Choices recipe, as it delivered fresh full flavor.
- 4 cups, large chopped cabbage
- 2 summer squash, sliced
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 cups salsa, or favorite pasta sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a pot fitted with a steamer basket over 2-inches of simmering water; steam cabbage and squash until crisp tender, 8-10 minutes. Reserve.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove and reserve. Pour off any fat. Sauté onion, carrot and jalapeno until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in steamed cabbage and squash, cooked sausage, and salsa to pot. Heat through. Season with salt & pepper.
2,889 total views, 1 views today