Here we go again with Red Curry Paste. I simply love how it’s flavor influences dishes. It’s not spicy hot, just full of wonderful fragrant ingredients. Today I was consumed by a craving for Thai Red Curry Carrot Soup. It began early this morning and by the time noon rolled around my mind was made up. Home I went and within 30 minutes we were enjoying this heavenly soup….it is that easy to make and oh so good.
Thai Red Curry Carrot Soup
- 6-7 carrots peeled and sliced to 1/4″ thickness (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 slices fresh ginger peeled
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbl. butter
- 1 Tbl. Thai Red Curry Paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- red pepper flakes optional
- garnish with scallions and fresh cilantro leaves
- In a heavy sauce pan, saute carrots, onion, and ginger in melted butter over medium-low heat about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and saute an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add curry paste, chicken broth, and coconut milk and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Strain solids from liquid, reserving liquid.
- Remove garlic slices and discard.
- In a blender, combine cooked carrots and onion with 1 cup liquid and puree until smooth. Combine puree with remaining liquid. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls with sliced scallions and fresh cilantro leaves.