This Tomato, Cheddar & Basil Pie might just be the prettiest pie I’ve ever made. There’s something so beautiful about a rainbow of homegrown ripe tomatoes.
I’ll let these pictures do the talking. Words wouldn’t do it justice.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1½ Tbl. cornmeal
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbl. fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Lay tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels to drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie crust into pie plate. Trim edges. Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over crust.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper. In a separate bowl, mix two cheeses together.
- To assemble pie, sprinkle ½ cup of cheese to bottom of pie. Layer ⅓ of tomato slices in single layer. Spread with half of the mayonnaise mixture and sprinkle with ½ of the scallions and basil and about ¾ cup of cheese. Layer ⅓ of tomato slices topped with remaining mayonnaise, scallions, basil and ¾ cup of cheese. Top with remaining tomato slices and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cover edges of crust with foil if becoming too brown. Allow pie to cool for at least an hour before serving.
9,256 total views, 8 views today