How To Handle a Big Mac Attack
Here’s How to Handle a Big Mac Attack!
Healthy eating police stand down.
We all have our guilty pleasures and while it’s been years since I’ve ordered a McDonald’s Big Mac, the saucy beefy cheesy classic lingers in my mind.
The way I see it is when the attack happens you have two choices. You can either drive to the closest McDonald’s OR you can make this double decker delight at home!
I vote for homemade all day – every day!
The Big Mac Ingredients
- Two all beef (Grass-Fed) patties
- Homemade special sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Yellow American cheese
- Sliced dill pickles
- Fine diced onion
- All piled high on sesame brioche buns
Here’s how we build our Big Macs
Make the special sauce –
- Sweet pickle relish
- White distilled vinegar
- Mustard powder
- Minced onion
- Chili powder
For maximum flavor, chill the Big Mac sauce in refrigerator for a couple hours or overnight if possible.
For the beef patties –
- Use ground chuck vs. sirloin for a juicy burger
- For each Big Mac, split 1/3 pound of ground beef into two thin patties and press to bun size
- Season with with salt and pepper, then pan fry in a little butter or ghee (trust me)
- Add slice of cheese to each burger just when finished cooking
- Toast buns, then spread with generous layer of special sauce
- Sprinkle bottom bun with fine diced onion and shredded lettuce
- Top with one of the cheese burgers and dill pickle slices
- Top with middle bun (I used an extra brioche bun and cut two middles out of it)
- Repeat: sauce, onions, lettuce, cheese burger, pickles, top bun
The hardest thing about making these Big Macs was having to wait to eat them while I took their beauty shots.
Here’s how we eat our Big Macs
My husband is a saint for waiting. And he’s not a shabby hand model either :)
There is so much love going on right here! These Big Macs were such a treat!
They are so satisfying and mouthwateringly delicious. You’re going to need a lot of napkins for these juicy burgers.
I’m lovin’ it!
We even made shoestring fries like McDonald’s. They weren’t quite as good as theirs but still pretty tasty. Our homemade Big Macs on the other hand were far better than the drive thru version!
Take a look at these cuties.
For my gluten free friends you can handle your Big Mac Attack by making mini burgers and using sweet potato ‘buns’.
Oh yes I did!
These gluten free sliders still give you all that juicy, beefy, cheesy saucy flavor without sacrifice!
And how about a side sweet potato curly fries!!
Burgers, fries, and milkshakes?? Try our Malted Peach Milkshake!
Are there recipes that remind you of a favorite vacation that you’d like to see us recreate? I’d love for you to comment below. Your feedback is so important to me (and keeps the recipe love fresh).
Don’t forget to follow us @LemonyThyme on Instagram and Facebook! And check out our latest TikTok videos and Pinterest boards too!
All my best,
Pin It For Later!
Homemade Big Mac
For the Special Sauce
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the Big Macs
- 1 pound ground beef preferably grass-fed chuck
- 6 slices yellow American cheese
- 4-5 brioche buns or sesame seed burger buns
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup fine diced white onion
- 18 dill pickle slices
- special sauce see recipe above
- 1 Tablespoon butter or ghee for pan frying burgers
- salt & pepper to season burgers
For the Special Sauce
- Combine all special sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. For best flavor, chill for 2 hours or overnight.
For the Big Macs
- Divide the ground beef into 1/3 pound sections. Split each 1/3 in half and roll into a ball. Press each ball between parchment paper to make 6 thin patties total. Season with salt & pepper. Pan fry burger patties in butter until cooked through. Top each burger with a slice of cheese.
- You'll need a top, bottom and middle bun for each Big Mac. Lightly toast buns.
- Spread a generous amount of special sauce onto each bun. On bottom bun add fine diced onion and shredded lettuce. Top with cheese burger and three pickle slices. Repeat with middle bun, sauce, onion, lettuce, cheese burger, pickles. Finish with top bun.
- Delicious served with shoestring fries and a milkshake!
For Gluten Free Sweet Potato 'Buns'
- Slice sweet potato into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Brush with olive oil and bake in oven at 425° F for about 25 minutes until golden and tender. Build Big Mac as instructed above using sweet potato in place of buns.
Great burgers! The special sauce is spot on!
So Delicious Lib! My favorite are your sweet potato recipes.
I’m lovin’ them too!!