A match made in heaven. That’s what Jennifer & Jason are. The love that surrounded them on their big day was so real you could touch it. It came from their families, separated by an isle but clearly united by love. We their friends were overflowing with joy for them as they said their I Do’s. And as they turned to face us for the first time as husband and wife their beautiful smiling faces and interlocked hands lifted us all.
It’s not surprising that this couple, who makes everyone in their presence feel ‘comfortable,’ would serve amazing comfort food at their wedding reception. I’m torn between my two favorite dishes, Shrimp & Grits or this heavenly Brown Sugar Chicken & Sweet Potato Casserole.
In the end, I chose the casserole in honor of J&J….to me it represents their love story. Join two unique flavors, slowly heat them over time, add just the right amount of sugar and spice, taste for balance, simmer just a little longer until their flavors become one, then share with those who love you most. That’s comfort food and a match made in heaven.
This recipe is created from the lingering flavors I’ve kept on the tip of my tongue since Saturday evening. Our table decided that the chicken was definitely slow cooked in the sweet potato goodness. It was moist and took on the familiar flavors of a yummy sweet potato casserole. I was tempted to top the whole thing in a layer of buttery brown sugar and pecan goodness….but I held back. While this dish was sweet….it had a savory side to it as well ;)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into quarters
- 4 Tbl. butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbl. butter, melted
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, about 3 large, cooked & mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- dash nutmeg
- dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Over low heat melt 4 Tbl. butter with garlic in a heavy sauce pan.
- Increase temperature to medium high, add ½ cup brown sugar stirring continuously until the butter and sugar are combined.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until mixture is smooth. Will be thick and grainy.
- Place chicken breasts in a 4 Qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Spoon brown sugar mixture over chicken and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300 degrees.
- Melt 4 Tbl. butter over medium heat, add sage leaves and saute until butter is golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining sweet potato ingredients in a bowl, then add sage browned butter.
- Pour mixture over brown sugar glazed chicken pieces and gently swirl brown sugar syrup with sweet potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
10,962 total views, 1 views today