Greek Chicken & Rice Soup, also known as Avgolemono, is a wonderfully hearty soup with fresh bursts of lemon throughout.
As we head squarely into soup season this creamy delicious pot of love deserves to be on rotation.
Yes this soup is loaded with tender chicken and rice.
Making the Soup
However it is the signature ingredients (Avgo-lemono = egg + lemon) that give this comforting soup it’s fresh bright flavor and soothing creamy finish.
When time permits, begin by making a big batch of Homemade Chicken Broth. I even do this a day or two in advance. Then I have some for the soup pot and some for the freezer.
To make this classic Greek Chicken & Rice Soup, begin with a mirepoix sautéed in olive oil. Then add garlic and fresh parsley, followed by good quality chicken stock.
When the broth comes to a gently boil, add rice and simmer until just tender. Then juicy chicken meat is added along with fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Tempering the Eggs
The one important step in making this soup is tempering the eggs before adding them to the hot broth. We don’t want our eggs to scramble in the hot liquid.
To do this, beat eggs in a small bowl. Add a ladle full of the hot soup to the egg and whisk quickly. Then return this mixture to the soup pot, whisking continuously until well combined.
The result is a silky broth loaded with tender chicken and rice, with a kiss of lemon.
There’s no reason not to bring the Greek Islands into your kitchen with this delightfully fresh and beautiful soup.
All my best,
Pin It For Later
Agolemono (Greek Chicken & Rice Soup)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, about 1 cup fine diced
- 3 carrots, about 1 cup fine diced
- 2 celery stalks, about 1 cup fine diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley fine chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup rice triple rinsed
- 2 lemons, juiced about 1/2 cup
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded 2 breasts or a rotisserie chicken
- 3 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in large dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until just tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and parsley and cook an additional minute. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low, add in rice and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in lemon juice and cooked chicken and heat through.
- To temper the eggs, beat eggs in a small bowl. Add one ladle of hot soup broth to eggs and whisk quickly. Return egg/broth mixture to soup pot and whisk to combine. Remove from heat. Season with salt & pepper to taste.