When I started talking to friends about an Oktoberfest inspired dinner I got lots of suggestions on dishes I might make. I knew Wienerschnitzel and Spaetzle would be on the menu for certain and after mutliple requests for Red Cabbage our dinner was complete. German Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage.
Slow braised red cabbage in a sweet balsamic glaze with sauteed apple and onion. The delicious aromas turn into mouth-watering goodness. I just love this punchy side with the mildness of Wienerschnitzel and Spaetzle.
I used our Oli+Ve Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar in this dish for a little extra flavor kick.
- ⅛ cup butter
- 6 cups red cabbage, thin sliced
- ½ cup onion, fine diced
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and fine diced
- 3 Tbl. sugar
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add apple and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until cabbage is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir often.
- Season with salt & pepper.
12,778 total views, 6 views today