We have a wonderful Used Book Store in town. It’s in an old home, so imagine each section in it’s own little room, most complete with quiet reading areas. On the day I discovered this Roasted Garlic Bread Soup recipe, Shelby and I went in opposite directions. If I recall she was looking for books on the Dalai Lama and I was in cookbook heaven.
I was flipping through an old cookbook, one printed back before every recipe came with full sized color pictures. There were a few pages with the corners turned down, which is why I stayed with it. One of those pages had a recipe for Roasted Garlic Bread Soup. I’m certain I did a double take. Roasted garlic bread soup. I read that right.
Here’s How to Oven Roast Garlic.
I recall the simple recipe called for heads of roasted garlic, a loaf of crusty bread, chicken broth, cream, shallot, thyme, salt & pepper. Without a picture, I wasn’t exactly sure what the finished result would look like.
I chose to top our soup with sautéed mushrooms and shaved parmesan cheese. The finished result was a garlic lovers dream. I’ve categorized this recipe under Appetizers as well as Soups. While we loved the richness, we thought it was a bit heavy to eat a large bowl full. Much better in cup sized servings, where every silken bite is savored.
- 1 loaf of crusty bread (we used Tuscan Roasted Garlic Bread), about 5-6 cups cubed
- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 Tbl. olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast heads of garlic (see How To link in post).
- Large cube bread and spread on baking sheet. Toast in oven for 10-15 minutes, until slightly crispy. Reserve 1 cup of toasted cubes for serving.
- While garlic roasts, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, sauté mushrooms until browned nicely on both sides. Do not overcrowd pan. Work in batches if necessary. Reserve.
- In a soup pot, sauté shallot in 1 Tbl. olive oil until tender, add in thyme sprigs, chicken broth; bring to a simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Reduce to low; remove thyme, stir in cream, roasted garlic and toasted bread (less reserved one cup).
- Fold to combine, then puree lightly. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- To serve, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese, sautéed mushrooms & reserved toasted bread cubes.
5,143 total views, 7 views today