I actually own a Terracotta Garlic Roaster, which works very well. However, several years ago I discovered that aluminum foil works just as well….and no clean-up required. So for the purpose of this How to Oven Roast Garlic post, we will use foil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Keeping the heads of garlic in tact, remove the papery layers.
- Cut 1/4-inch off the top of each head of garlic and place on a piece of aluminum foil or in your clay garlic baker.
- Drizzle each head with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Seal your foil pouches. You will need to be able to open and possibly reseal for further roasting, so be neat about it :)
- Place on center oven rack (can use baking sheet if roasting multiple heads). Roast for 45 minutes. Test for doneness by gently pushing on the cloves. They should feel very soft. You’ll want a little caramelization so you may need to roast an additional 10 – 15 minutes.
- To remove garlic cloves from head, turn over and gently squeeze. Store in an air tight container in refrigerator or freeze.
Roasted Garlic is one of our favorite aromatics. Roasting mellows the garlic, taking it from sharp to almost sweet. It’s delicious simply spread on crostini. We also love it on Shelby’s Yummus Hummus.
It’s also the featured ingredient in our Roasted Garlic Bread Soup. Stardom I tell you.
2,290 total views, 2 views today