Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Casserole is a wonderful rustic side dish or vegetarian meal. Roasting the cauliflower imparts a slightly sweet nutty flavor.
I was staring into my veggie drawer and there smiling back at me was a head of cauliflower and a pound of button mushrooms. Two weeks of eating very little carbs left me craving a casserole. Discovering this recipe by The Iron You made me oh so happy.
I can eat roasted cauliflower with the same enthusiasm I approach a big bowl of glorious Sage Brown Butter Popcorn (that was my not so subtle way of giving this amazing popcorn a shout out). It’s fabulous. Roasted cauliflower and that popcorn.
We enjoyed Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Casserole as a side and leftovers for lunch. Another time I think I’ll add diced cooked chicken for a nice protein boost.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ Tbl. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a medium baking dish with olive oil and reserve.
- Spread cauliflower florets in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with 1 Tbl. oil olive and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat sauté the mushrooms in ½ Tbl. olive oil and a couple of pinches of salt. Stir every minute or so until mushrooms have released all their liquid. Add onion and thyme cook for another 4 - 5 minutes until translucent. Stir in garlic, cook for another minute and remove from the heat.
- When the cauliflower has caramelized add to the skillet.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Add cauliflower mushroom mixture, stir until well combined. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cover with foil.
- Reduce oven temp. to 350 degrees. Bake casserole for 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until lightly browned around edges.
85,590 total views, 19 views today