Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Casserole is a wonderful rustic side dish or vegetarian meal. Roasting the cauliflower imparts a slightly sweet nutty flavor.
I was staring into my veggie drawer and there smiling back at me was a head of cauliflower and a pound of button mushrooms. Two weeks of eating very little carbs left me craving a casserole. Discovering this recipe by The Iron You made me oh so happy.
I can eat roasted cauliflower with the same enthusiasm I approach a big bowl of glorious Sage Brown Butter Popcorn (that was my not so subtle way of giving this amazing popcorn a shout out). It’s fabulous. Roasted cauliflower and that popcorn.
We enjoyed Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Casserole as a side and leftovers for lunch. Another time I think I’ll add diced cooked chicken for a nice protein boost.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ Tbl. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a medium baking dish with olive oil and reserve.
- Spread cauliflower florets in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with 1 Tbl. oil olive and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat sauté the mushrooms in ½ Tbl. olive oil and a couple of pinches of salt. Stir every minute or so until mushrooms have released all their liquid. Add onion and thyme cook for another 4 - 5 minutes until translucent. Stir in garlic, cook for another minute and remove from the heat.
- When the cauliflower has caramelized add to the skillet.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Add cauliflower mushroom mixture, stir until well combined. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cover with foil.
- Reduce oven temp. to 350 degrees. Bake casserole for 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until lightly browned around edges.
112,630 total views, 8 views today