Skillet Creamed Spinach with Eggs & Bacon.
I’m so intrigued by baked eggs. Mostly because I love eggs, but also because I like the idea of nestling them into a well of savory goodness where they take on the flavors that surround them. Getting to use my awesome mini cast iron skillets is a bonus. I was thumbing through an issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray and found this perfect brunch recipe.
And if I were in need of an enticing dish to lure one sleepy girl out of bed….this might be the one.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 Tbl. reserved bacon drippings
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbl. heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook 3-4 slices of bacon in skillet reserving 1 Tbl. bacon grease. Over medium heat, sauté ½ cup diced onion, 4 sliced mushrooms, and ½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves until onions are tender. Add 3 cups fresh spinach leaves turning until wilted (add in batches until all incorporated).
- Pour off the liquid, then season with salt & pepper. Add 2 Tbl. heavy cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- With a spoon make two wells and crack an egg in each. Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese, salt & pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees until egg whites are set, about 10 minutes. Serve with bacon.
5,348 total views, 1 views today