Parmesan Crusted Homemade Fish Sticks
I grew up in a very small New England town in southern New Hampshire. There was a large Catholic population which meant every Friday night was fish night in most households. And while some of my friends grumbled, I begged to be invited for dinner in hopes they’d be serving fish sticks and French fries. Loved them. Please tell me I’m not alone on this one.
30 years later I decided to recreate this Friday night comfort food classic at home. As in homemade Parmesan Crusted Fish Sticks.
I can generally count on fresh cod being available at my local seafood counter. Cod is the perfect mild white flaky fish to turn into fish sticks. I cut the fillet into pieces and dipped them in egg white before encrusting them with a seasoned panko parmesan coating. I baked them along side my fries, in this case Sweet Potato Fries, until they were both crispy and golden brown. Served with a side of Tartar Sauce and Coleslaw and dinner is done. Yum!
- 1¼ lb. cod fillet, cut into pieces (about 2-3 oz. each)
- ½ cup egg whites (or 1 egg beaten)
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp. Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp. paprika
- spray olive oil
- Combine Parmesan cheese, panko, Cajun seasoning and paprika in a shallow dish.
- Dip cod pieces in egg white then dredge in Parmesan panko mixture coating well. Place pieces on a plate and put in freezer for 10 minutes before baking. This helps the coating to adhere during baking.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil spray.
- When ready to bake place fish pieces on cooking sheet then lightly spray tops with olive oil spray. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until beginning to brown.
4,008 total views, 1 views today