Sometimes a recipe comes to me based on one single ingredient. In this case it was a gorgeous Kimmelweck roll in the case at the bakery. I couldn’t wait to get home and make tuna melts for lunch. I promptly proceeded to burn the bun. With all other ingredients gathered I turned to my freezer to find the tail end of a pack of Party Rye. And that is how the Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese Slider was born.
Recipe Note: By the time I got done picturing our Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese Sliders they were less than hot. So I popped them in the oven and let them reheat for about 10 minutes. Everything settled into happiness. The cheese was nice and melty, the bread took shape around the other ingredients. We decided that if we found these on a finger food buffet, we’d be very pleased indeed. I wish I had pictured those however by this time lunch was a bit overdue. And there was no stopping us. Next time.
- 1 small can or pouch of tuna
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 slices party rye bread
- 2 slices muenster cheese, cut into 4ths
- 2 slices Havarti cheese, cut into 4ths
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced
- butter for pan grilling
- Combine all tuna salad ingredients and blend well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer the party rye with piece of muenster, piece of Havarti, scoop of tuna salad, egg slice, tomato slice, piece of muenster, piece of Havarti and top with bread slice. Repeat.
- Melt butter in a skillet and grill sliders on both sides until golden brown and cheese has melted. Remove to a baking pan. Once all sliders have been grilled, transfer to oven for 7-10 minutes.
6,346 total views, 1 views today