Perhaps the dish I remember most from my childhood is Beefaroni. Not the canned type, but Homemade Beefaroni, that I think we had every week. It’s affordable, easy to prepare, family friendly, and so delicious. For that reason I consider this a comfort food recipe.
I made One Pot Homemade Beefaroni on Sunday and have been enjoying it for lunch this week. This recipe makes 12 servings so it’s a great family meal or pot luck dish to share.
The above step-by-step pictures basically illustrate just how easy this dish is to prepare. I must be honest and tell you that I have admired “One-Pot” dishes for months on Pinterest. This was my first attempt. I found the key to even cooking of the elbows was to stir a couple times during the simmering process, other than that….ONE POT people!! Bam!!
One Pot Homemade Beefaroni
- 1 Tbl. butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 28- ounce crushed tomatoes preferably no salt added
- 1 14.5- ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes preferably no salt added
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 ounces elbow macaroni
- grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushroom slices and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring once. Add diced onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until onions are tender. Add in garlic and ground beef. Use wooden spoon to break up beef; cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain off any liquid.
- Add tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a simmer. Stir in macaroni, making sure it is completely covered with sauce. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese
24,010 total views, 2 views today