So many beautiful colors and flavors in this Mediterranean Lunch Bowl. Roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, luscious olives, orzo pasta, baby spinach, and grilled lemon & herb chicken. Pulled together from ingredients already in our fridge and pantry.
It was about a week ago when I made this fabulous 7-Layer Hot Italian Dip. Several of those layers found their way into the Mediterranean Lunch Bowl. Just a little hint that these two recipes play very nicely together.
As a bonus, this lunch bowl fits nicely into our healthy choices plan. Because the ingredients bring big bold flavor there was no need for a heavy dressing. Instead I simply used some of the juices from the olives, red pepper and artichoke hearts with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice. And serving this bowl….in a bowl, keeps portion control in check. Go me.
I’ve mentioned recently that we have a new Sprouts Farmers Market, conveniently located along my route to work. They have a gorgeous olive bar, loaded with all kinds of marinated love. You can buy as little as one olive if you choose. That makes a Mediterranean Lunch Bowl all the more wonderful.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (6-8 ounces)
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 Tbl. capers
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- roasted red pepper, with juice
- marinated artichoke hearts, with juice
- assorted olives, with juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Press the rosemary, oregano, capers and 2-3 lemon slices onto the chicken breast. Grill in a grill-pan over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, then gently turn and grill an additional 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the orzo according to the package instructions. Drain; season with olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Divide fresh spinach, sliced grilled chicken, orzo, roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, and olives between two bowls.
- Combine reserved marinating liquids with olive oil and lemon juice to taste. Drizzle over bowl ingredients.
11,845 total views, 3 views today