Eggplant Parmesan is one of my most favorite Italian dishes, what’s not to love about something breaded, fried, and topped with melted cheese. It’s also super simple to make.
I like to slice the eggplant a little thicker than some, about 3/8″ thick. Then when you bread them you don’t loose the wonderful eggplant flavor. Toss the slices in kosher salt and arrange in a single layer in a colander for 30-45 min. then dry completely with paper towels. This draws out extra liquid from the eggplant. Dip eggplant in flour, then egg, and then Italian bread crumbs before pan frying until crispy brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
You’ll need about 1 cup of your favorite tomato sauce ~ we oven roasted cherry tomatoes in olive oil with fresh oregano and basil leaves, then added to sauteed onion, carrot, and garlic.
We also had a beautiful big tomato that needed to be eaten. Sliced it, sprinkled with parmesan cheese, salt & pepper and broiled for a few minutes.
Layer in baking dish (see photo) ~ fried eggplant slice, fresh mozzarella slice, basil leaf, spoonful of tomato sauce or broiled tomato slice, and repeat. Sprinkle dish with grated parmesan cheese and bake at 375 until cheese is bubbly and happy.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I feel like I need to say more, but eggplant is tricky to explain. It’s meaty and buttery and kind of squashy and really happy when paired with tomato sauce and cheese. How’s that?
- 1 med. - lg. eggplant, sliced ⅜" thick
- 1 Tbl. kosher salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 lg. tomato, sliced
- 2 Tbl. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 8-10 fresh basil
- 2 Tbl. Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice eggplant (3/8" thick) and toss with salt.
- Arrange single layer in a colander for 30-45 min. then dry completely with paper towels.
- Prepare favorite tomato sauce.
- Slice tomato, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Then broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Dip eggplant slices in flour, then egg, then Italian bread crumbs.
- Pan fry until crispy brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Layer in baking dish ~ fried eggplant slice, fresh mozzarella slice, basil leaf, spoonful of tomato sauce or broiled tomato slice, and repeat.
- Sprinkle dish with grated parmesan cheese
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and happy, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
31,144 total views, 2 views today