Fresh Veggie Pancakes with Tomato Salad.
Today is the day I must use up the remains of this weekend’s produce run. I am guilty of over buying (yes dear I am admitting it) and also of over eating (claiming that one too…..boy feels good to get that out). However, I also think I’m pretty darn good at whipping up a dish from what’s left in the fridge that needs to be eaten by tomorrow.
We call these the “on sale” items. Look for mushrooms in a dish real soon. Today it’s a random assortment of veggies that all go so nicely together. Let’s shred, dice, cut, and combine them to make these light fresh veggie pancakes. They made a wonderful summer side dish with our baked salmon, but I could easily make them silver dollar size and serve them with fingers or forks as a simple appetizer.
Pancake ingredients adjusted according to what’s in your fridge…zucchini, summer squash, carrots, jalapeno, scallions, corn off the cob, cilantro…
Grated veggies like carrots and squashes and squeeze them in paper towels to remove excess liquid. Then combine all ingredients and mix well. Ladle batter into lightly oiled pan and cook pancakes until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Serve topped with a spoonful of tomato salad…tomato tossed with cilantro leaves, scallion, white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt & fresh cracked pepper. Delicious, easy, and oh so satisfying to see a mostly empty veggie drawer just in time for Saturday’s Farmers’ Market.
- 1 small raw zucchini, grated
- 1 small raw summer squash, grated
- 1 small raw carrot, grated
- 1 small jalapeno, fine diced
- 3 scallions, thin sliced
- 2 ears corn (steamed then roasted), cut off cob
- 1 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 small diced tomato
- cilantro leaves
- 1 sliced scallion
- 1 Tbl. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Squeeze all grated ingredients in paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- Combine all pancake ingredients and mix well.
- Ladle batter into lightly oiled pan and cook pancakes until golden brown on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of tomato salad.
16,971 total views, 1 views today