Crab Louie Salad Sliders.
The Crab Louie Salad has been around for over 100 years and first became popular on the West Coast of the United States (or was it King Louie himself who first dined on this salad…the world may never know). The salad consists of crisp lettuce, sliced tomato, hard boiled eggs, ripe olives, sometimes asparagus….and of course gorgeous crab meat which is tossed in Crab Louie Dressing.
Some time last summer I decided it would be fun to pay tribute to as many of the classic salads as I could recreate. I’m checking them off one by one and have loved learning their history and discovering their flavor personalities. One consistent theme is that most of these salads were born out of Eat Out of the Fridge/Pantry Weeks aka combining ingredients already on hand. Having said that, for many of these classics we’ve given them a twist of our own. We decided to serve our Crab Louie Salad over toasted buttered rolls. Crab Louie Salad Sliders were fantastic and needed to be shared.
- 1 Romaine lettuce heart, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced
- 6-8 ripe black olives, sliced
- 4-6 ounces crab meat
- 2 slider rolls, buttered & toasted
- 2 Tbl. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbl. chili sauce
- 1 Tbl. grated onion
- 1 tsp. capers
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Combine the dressing ingredients. Toss the crab meat in the dressing then layer the salad as follows: toasted roll, shredded lettuce, tomato slices, egg slices, olives, and dressed crab meat.
Here are some of our favorite classic salads.
5,425 total views, 1 views today