I’ve been intrigued by the sounds of a Grilled Caesar Salad for some time now. And even more so when it’s topped with Herb Grilled Chicken & Shrimp. Perhaps it’s the warm weather that’s rolled in or the upcoming ‘official kick-off to summer’ Memorial Day Weekend. Whatever the reason…I want to be out of the kitchen and onto my back deck.
We decided to grill as many components of this salad as possible. The chicken breasts were coated with extra virgin olive oil and tossed with a few handfuls of fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, and lemony thyme sprigs). While they were grilling, we prepared the other ingredients.
The shrimp were double skewered to make them easy to handle on the grill, then sprayed with a little olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper. The romaine lettuce was sliced in half lengthwise, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper. For the Homemade Croutons, we followed this recipe. We also boiled the eggs while the chicken was grilling, so they would be warm when we were ready to plate. Lastly we shaved (not grated) fresh Parmesan cheese.
We are firm believers in letting meats rest for 10 minutes after grilling. So while the chicken rested we grilled the other components. We grilled the shrimp, romaine lettuce, and croutons for a couple minutes on each side, then removed them to a large wooden cutting board with the chicken, hard boiled eggs, and Parmesan cheese. Not only did this make a beautiful presentation but it allowed us to each build our own salad. The warm, slightly wilted lettuce was amazing. Every layer came together beautifully. But this Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing…oh my.
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh herb sprigs (such as rosemary, sage, lemony thyme)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Homemade croutons (see recipe link in post)
- Homemade Caesar salad dressing (see recipe link in post)
- Prepare the Caesar Salad Dressing.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a zipper bag, toss the chicken breasts with 2 Tbl. olive oil, fresh herb springs, and salt & pepper. Grill chicken on first side 5-7 minutes until lightly grill marked (1/4 turn midway through for crisscross grill marks). Then turn over and continue cooking another 5-7 minutes until done. Remove from grill and cover with foil.
- Bring the eggs to a boil, then turn off water and allow to sit covered for 8 minutes. Then drain and cover with cool water.
- Skewer the shrimp, then spray them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Rinse and dry, then cut the romaine in half lengthwise, leaving the root in tack. Drizzle the lettuce with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Butter the croutons.
- Grill the shrimp skewers, romaine lettuce, and croutons.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut in half.
- Shave (not grate) the Parmesan cheese
- Place all grilled ingredients on a large platter or wooden cutting board. Add the hard boiled egg halves and shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve with Homemade Caesar Dressing (see recipe link in post).
7,454 total views, 2 views today