Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
We are on a mission to add at least two new soups per week to the pages of Lemony Thyme. Below may have something to do with this!!!
Brrrr! I realize that most of the country has been suffering with EXTREME cold, so I’m not at all complaining. But when it’s 5 degrees in the Sunny South, the first thing that comes to mind is Sharing the Love with big pots of soup.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup has the extra bonus of familiar comfortable flavor. There are dozens of copycat recipes all over the web. We all have our favorite version from different restaurant chains or family recipes. Here is how we make this wonderful cheesy creamy soup at our house.
Diced onion and carrots are sautéed in butter until tender, then followed by minced garlic. A good dusting of flour before the milk and broth are added delivers the creaminess we love. Once the mixture simmers and comes to a boil, the chopped fresh broccoli is added. Allowing the broccoli to cook in the broth infuses delicious flavor.
Once the broccoli is tender, the mixture is pureed in the blender. You can puree just a portion of the soup if you like it chunky. We prefer it creamy, so instead I reserve a few cooked broccoli florets to serve on top. Once blended the cheddar cheese is added. Lots of cheddar cheese. I like to season this soup at the end. I find the cheese brings all the salt you need and I love freshly cracked pepper on top. A pinch of nutmeg and cayenne add a wonderful flavor nuance.
Now, how to serve your Broccoli Cheddar Soup. A nice big bowl full is always, always wonderful and perfect for your low-carb spouse. But for those of us who favor the bread bowl, fill it up.
Then come the garnishes. As mentioned, cooked broccoli florets are nice floated on top along with a pinch of shredded cheddar. However, a little crumbled bacon might make you go weak at the knees….adding it or not is completely your choice (unless you’re a vegetarian I highly recommend the bacon).
There you have it. His and Hers bowls of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I’m feeling warmer already.
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne
- pinch nutmeg
- Saute onion and carrot in butter until tender. Add in minced garlic and stir for another minute. Dust with flour, stirring continuously over medium heat until well combined; 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and broth, bring to a boil and simmer 7-10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low, add in broccoli. Continue to simmer until broccoli is tender, about 20 minutes.
- If you want a smooth soup, puree in batches in the blender and return to the pot. If you prefer it chunky only puree half of the soup. I like to reserve a few cooked broccoli florets to float on top of each bowl. Add in shredded cheese and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until cheese is completely melted. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg to taste.
- Garnish with reserved broccoli florets, shredded cheddar, and optional crumbled bacon. Delicious served in bread bowls or with a side of crusty bread.
4,043 total views, 3 views today