Back before there was a negative stigma associated with a recipe that called for a stick of butter (y’all), we could put away some butter. Growing up as a child I seriously thought butter was a side dish….since we all had our own dish of butter when we sat down to dinner. It’s no wonder we ate every vegetable put in front of us (except Brussels Sprouts…love them now). Over the years we have worked pretty hard to replace some (not all) of that butter with healthier options….olive oil, herbs, lemon juice. Having said that, this Fresh Herb Grilled Chicken with Basil Herb Butter recipe, adapted from the queen of butter Paula Deen, has earned the right to keep the butter or at least most of it.
Basting the chicken with herbed melted butter during the grilling keeps the chicken oh so moist. And the basil, Parmesan, butter mixture served on top….that slowly melts as you take each bite….well now that’s just heaven.
I’m bound and determined to use every last bit of our fresh basil and so I give you our Fresh Herb Stuffed Tomatoes as well. Stay tuned for pesto….coming soon.
- ½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- ⅛ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbl. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh lemony thyme leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 Tbl. butter, melted
- ½ stick of butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tbl. fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 Tbl. fresh herbs, minced (thyme, rosemary, oregano)
- 2 Tbl. grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Fresh basil springs, optional
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Gently pound chicken breasts to even thickness.
- Press the coarsely ground pepper onto sides of the chicken breasts.
- Stir the chopped herbs into the melted butter.
- Brush the chicken lightly with this mixture.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the remaining melted butter mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, minced basil & herbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until smoothly blended.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl; set aside.
- Serve the grilled chicken with the basil-butter mixture.
- Garnish with fresh basil springs, if desired.
13,064 total views, 6 views today