Veggie Pancakes with Fried Eggs.
The light coming through our back windows this morning is brighter than usual. The angle in which it reaches the kitchen creates a spot light. On to the stage steps these gorgeous veggie pancakes.
I did not plan for this. When I opened the refrigerator door I was reaching for coffee cream. Instead out came zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, carrots and scallions.
Apparently it was their time to shine. Shredded veggies tossed in a simple batter made from flour, egg, buttermilk, panko crumbs and seasoning.
Pan sautéed until golden brown on each side. Simply served topped with fried eggs.
A star is born.
Now. On to that cup of coffee.
Veggie Pancakes Topped with Fried Eggs
For veggie pancakes…
- 5-6 asparagus spears blanched and diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini shredded
- 1 small summer squash shredded
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil or more if needed
- 4 eggs
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Blanch asparagus for 2-3 minutes, then cut into small pieces. Slice scallions. Shred remaining veggies then squeeze between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Beat together egg, flour, buttermilk, breadcrumbs and seasonings. Toss veggies in batter. Form into pancakes about 2-3 inches in diameter.
- In a large skillet melt butter and olive oil. Pan fry pancakes until golden brown on each side. Transfer to baking sheet and hold in warm oven while preparing eggs.
- Fry eggs in skillet and serve on top of veggie pancakes. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
Buttermilk can be replaced with whole milk.