The Cuban Sandwich
The Cuban Sandwich is a classic. Made with roast pork, Virginia ham, imported Swiss cheese, dill pickles, mustard/mayo on Cuban bread….then grilled into amazing.
Recipe inspiration. I walked into Publix Supermarket this afternoon starving (first rule of thumb, never grocery shop when you’re hungry). I turned right to start my route. Do you have a grocery store route/routine? I always turn right first, my mom always turned left. Anyway, I turned right and there she was. The deli counter lady holding a plate full of Cuban Sandwich samples. I believe that four-bite sample saved us $100 in unnecessary groceries. Instead I picked up the makings for Cuban Sandwiches and headed home. Note: our other local grocery store chain had Boston Butt Pork Roasts on sale for dirt cheap. We cooked a 9lb. roast last night, most of which was waiting at home to be sliced for this fabulous sandwich.
It didn’t take but a few minutes to layer the ingredients and get this bad boy into the grill pan. In our case that would be a cast iron skillet and a bacon press. If you have a sandwich maker or Panini press those would work great as well.
I love sandwiches and it seemed my collection of Burgers & Sandwiches would not be complete without the classic Cuban Sandwich.
The Cuban Sandwich
- 1 loaf Cuban bread French or Italian sub rolls work well too
- 2-3 ounces sliced Virginia ham 3-4 slices
- 2-3 ounces sliced roast pork
- 3 slices imported Swiss cheese
- 1 large dill pickle cut into slices lengthwise
- 1 Tbl. mustard
- 1 Tbl. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbl. butter for grilling
- Cut Cuban bread to length 6-7 inches, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Spread mustard on one side and mayonnaise on the other side. Layer the pickle slices, Swiss cheese, ham, and roast pork.
- Melt butter in grill pan and grill sandwich 4-5 minutes per side, using a bacon press (or equivalent).
- Cut sandwich in half or into wedges to serve.
That looks fabulous, and I just had lunch!
Thanks Mike. I too am a sucker for the Cuban.