My motivation for this Heart Healthy Turkey & Sweet Potato Southwest Chili was to deliver a flavor packed hearty chili.
You know the kind even your manly man will eat. But packed full of nutrients without extra calories.
Because let’s face it, most of us don’t need empty calories and are perfectly happy as long as we’re satisfied. This chili is definitely satisfying.
Building the Chili Flavor
The sweet potato is the star ingredient as it balances the chili seasonings so well.
Because I was making this chili to share the love with one my work family members, I kept the heat out of it and instead focused on flavor. Chili powder, ground oregano, garlic powder, and cumin will never let you down.
I also fire roasted the corn and poblano peppers, adding a little smoky flavor to the chili.
If you want to stretch this Turkey & Sweet Potato Southwest Chili a little farther, double the quantity of veggies & diced tomatoes and season accordingly. In addition to the sweet potatoes, I added carrots, onions, red bell & poblano peppers, zucchini, corn, diced tomatoes and black beans.
I hope you’ll give this dish a try and as always I welcome and enjoy your feedback.
Recipe inspiration. My Healthy Choices lunch buddy shared a new favorite dish, which was baked sweet potato topped with taco seasoned ground turkey and salsa. It was delicious and has been lingering in my mind ever since.
We are so ready for chili season and have a collection of recipes for your enjoyment.
All my best,
Turkey & Sweet Potato Southwest Chili
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey cooked and drained
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled & cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbl. olive oil divided
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 med. onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper optional
- 1 poblano pepper fire roasted, skins removed
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 ears corn on the cob or 1 cup frozen
- 1 28- ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 4.5- ounce can diced mild green chiles
- 1 14- ounce can black beans drained & rinsed
- 2 Tbl. chili powder
- 1 Tbl. dried oregano
- 1 Tbl. garlic powder
- 1 Tbl. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread diced sweet potatoes on a cooking spray coated baking sheet. Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile in a Dutch oven, add 1 Tbl. olive oil and brown ground turkey. Remove from pan and reserve. Add additional 1 Tbl. of olive oil and diced onion and carrot to pot. Saute until onion is tender. Add in remaining veggies and tomatoes, chiles, black beans and seasoning and bring to a gentle simmer; cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked sweet potatoes and ground turkey to the pot; heat through. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with favorite toppings, such as shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro.