Loaded Easy Chicken Enchiladas Casserole has all of your favorite ingredients layered into a delicious crowd-pleasing comfort food dish.
If you love Chicken Enchiladas like we do, this casserole version is a time saver without sacrificing one ounce of flavor.
This week’s College Cooking recipe is a great weeknight meal. It comes together pretty quickly and it’s just as good leftover the next day.
If you’re looking to feed a game-day crowd, this casserole style is perfect for that too!
The Enchiladas Ingredients
- Enchiladas Sauce – Homemade is always better, but you can sub your favorite jar variety.
- Tortillas – I used 7″ flour tortillas, but you can use any size you like.
- Chicken – Rotisserie chicken is a nice shortcut. You can count on it being moist and super flavorful! However, you can cook chicken breasts in a crockpot or instant pot as well.
- Beans – I used refried beans in this casserole but you can use black beans or pinto beans.
- Peppers – To give this dish it’s classic Mexican taste, add mild diced chiles, jalapeno, or poblano peppers. Or use them all for great bold flavor.
- Corn – I love using fire roasted corn, but frozen or even canned works fine in this recipe.
- Cheese – Don’t skimp on the shredded cheese. Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Pepperjack all work great in enchiladas.
- Extras – I had salsa on hand and fresh cilantro so I included both. I served the casserole with extra cheese, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro and sour cream.
- Here’s a link to our Homemade Enchiladas Sauce Recipe with step-by-step instructions.
- When removing the chicken meat from a rotisserie chicken, it’s much easier to do while it’s still warm.
- Fire roasted corn & poblanos is easy to do with either a gas stove or on a grill. Check out this recipe for tips on removing the blackened skins from the poblanos.
- If using refried beans, microwave them for a minute to soften them before mixing with remaining ingredients.
- Feel free to add more or less of your favorite ingredients. This recipe allows for substitutions and don’t forget the toppings!
The Casserole Assembly
- Prepare your enchiladas sauce
- Dice your cooked chicken and combine with remaining ingredients
- Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish
- Top with a layer of flour tortillas, then a layer of the chicken mixture, then a layer of sauce
- Repeat two more times (3-layers total)
- Finish with a layer of shredded cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until casserole begins to bubble around edges.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
There’s a reason the word ‘casserole’ is in the title of this recipe. Because casseroles equal comfort food and this one definitely qualifies!
All my best,
Pin It For Later
Loaded Easy Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
For the Enchiladas Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons canola or avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Casserole
- 16 7" Flour Tortillas
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken diced 1 – 4 lb. rotisserie chicken
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Cheddar and/or Pepperjack)
- 2 ears corn on the cob, roasted kernels removed or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15 ounce can refried beans
- 1 4 ounce can mild green chiles
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted skins removed diced
- 1/2 cup enchiladas sauce see above
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa optional
For the Toppings
- sour cream
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese
For the Enchiladas Sauce
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 1 minute, then add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For the Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked diced chicken, 2 cups of shredded cheese, and remaining casserole ingredients.
- Spread a thin layer of prepared enchiladas sauce in bottom of 9×13 casserole dish. Top with layer of tortillas, 1/3 of chicken mixture, a thin layer of enchiladas sauce. Repeat two more times. Then finish with final layer of tortillas, thin layer of sauce and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until edges begin to bubble. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with optional toppings above.