Snow-Day Chicken Pot Pie
Snow-Day Chicken Pot Pie.
We were snowed in again and completely made the best of it. Let me remind you we live in the sunny south, so snow days are few and far between. Stranded at home is my excuse to turn to my fridge/pantry for inspiration.
Here’s what one of my herb porch pots looked like after the snow. We’re calling this Winter Thyme :)
I bought a boxed pie crust just before New Years with a mini-quiche recipe in mind. Things changed, recipes shifted, and here we are with a pie crust begging for it’s time to shine. Most always we have onions in the pantry and carrots and celery in the fridge veggie drawer. They are key ingredients in so many of our dishes. Our freezer is a different story. Random is the best way to describe it, although I’m beginning to think Freezer Staples could be just as important as fridge/pantry staples.
So when we found ourselves snowbound, it was kind of fun to plan a week of meals that required no trips to the grocery store (even if we could have ventured out). We discovered a package of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts and Snow-Day Chicken Pot Pie was conceived.
Snow-Day Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pkg. Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts or homemade
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 3 celery ribs sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves only
- 1 small sprig fresh rosemary leaves only
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 5 Tbl. butter divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 egg beaten
- Cook chicken breasts (I put them in the crock pot with the chicken broth and cooked them on high for about 3 hours until they shredded easily with a fork). Strain and reserve the broth.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbl. butter in a Dutch oven. Saute onion, carrot, and celery with herbs until tender. Season with poultry seasoning, salt & pepper. Remove from Dutch oven and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add remaining 4 Tbl. butter to the pot. Once melted, dust with flour; stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Pour in reserved broth and bring to a boil, whisking until thickened. Add in shredded chicken, corn, peas and reserved sautéed veggies. Mixture should be thick. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place one pie crust in 9-inch pie plate. Pour in filling. Top with second pie crust and crimp and trim edges. Use trimmed crust to make decorative shapes for top. Cut slits in top crust to vent. Brush crust with beaten egg. Place pie on baking sheet and bake on center rack for 30 minutes. Check crust after 10 minutes and cover edges with foil if beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.