Mushroom & Kale Quinoa Breakfast Bowl.
It was 52 degrees in our bedroom this morning. Somehow opening a window ever so slightly seemed like a fine idea at bedtime. Brrrr. So while I lay snuggled deeply into my bed I did a mental inventory of the ingredients in my fridge and pantry. If there was one thing that would get me out from under the covers, it was breakfast.
A nice warm breakfast bowl, like the kind they make at our local biscuit barn would certainly do the trick. However, in an attempt to stay on track with my healthier eating…..I replaced the base of biscuits and gravy with my new bff quinoa. You could easily substitute farro, barley, brown rice, or even oatmeal.
I prepared the quinoa my trusty way. 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer for a minute or two. Then combine with the water in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to stand for 5 more minutes. Do not lift the lid. Fluff with fork before serving.
For veggies I diced up some carrot and onion, then trimmed up a good handful of kale and button mushrooms.
Or should I say BUTT-on mushrooms. Too cute not to share. I think this was my gentle reminder of why my healthy breakfast bowl was the right choice ;)
I sautéed the onion and carrot with some minced fresh sage leaves in a little Wild Mushroom & Sage EVOO until almost tender, then I added in the sliced mushrooms and allowed them cook down releasing their liquid. I tossed in the chopped kale at the end wilting it slightly. I seasoned the veggies with sea sat & freshly cracked pepper and removed them from the skillet while I fried my egg.
I drizzled my cooked quinoa with a little more olive oil and a sprinkling of salt & pepper. Tossed that with my cooked veggies and topped of my breakfast bowl with a nice sunny-side up fried egg.
This hearty Mushroom & Kale Quinoa Breakfast Bowl was the perfect start to my chilly day and will carry me well into the afternoon. What’s your favorite breakfast in a bowl? I have so many favorites. See below for a few others you might enjoy.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 large carrot, fine diced
- 1 medium onion, fine diced
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 4 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 cups kale, trimmed of rough stems and chopped
- 2 Tbl. wild mushroom & sage olive oil (or favorite), divided
- 2 eggs
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer for a minute or two. Then combine with the water in a 1½ quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to stand for 5 more minutes. Do not lift the lid. Fluff with fork before serving.
- Saute carrot, onion and sage in one Tbl. olive oil over medium heat until almost tender, add mushrooms and allow to cook down so they release most of their liquid. Add kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, remove from skillet and reserve. Fry eggs in same skillet.
- To serve toss quinoa with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir in sautéed veggies. Fill your favorite breakfast bowl, then top with fried egg.
8,682 total views, 5 views today