I’m always searching for new and fun breakfast ideas. I don’t recall what I typed in the search field that returned this recipe, but with just one look I was hooked. Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls…Sunday Brunch couldn’t get here soon enough.
I bought a couple Chicago dinner rolls at the local bakery, cut the tops off and scooped out some of the bread center to make enough room for an egg with a little cream. Sprinkle each bowl with salt, pepper, fresh chopped herbs, and grated Parmesan cheese. Brush the edges with a little melted butter and you’re ready to bake.
- crusty dinner rolls
- large eggs, 1 per roll
- chopped mixed herbs, such as lemony thyme, chives and tarragon, 1 tsp. per bowl
- heavy cream, 1 tsp. per bowl
- Salt and pepper
- grated Parmesan, 1 tsp. per bowl
- 1 Tbl. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Slice off top of each dinner roll and gently remove some bread until there is a hole large enough to accommodate an egg. Arrange rolls on a rimmed baking sheet. Reserve tops.
- Crack an egg into each roll, then top with some herbs and a bit of cream. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Brush cut edges with melted butter.
- Bake until eggs are set and bread is toasted, 20 to 25 minutes. After eggs have cooked for 20 minutes, place bread tops on baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Let sit 5 minutes. Place tops on rolls and serve warm.
21,471 total views, 5 views today