I’ve completely jumped onto the ‘Bowl’ bandwagon. Rice bowls, ramen bowls, power bowls, Buddha bowls, dragon, macro, breakfast and lunch bowls….they all make me happy. The perfect portion of noodles, rice or grains with added protein & veggie love. Our latest creation is the Honey Walnut Shrimp Power Bowl inspired by ingredients already on hand. Win-win power bowl.
I recently made a batch of these Sweet & Sticky Sesame Walnuts for a Game Day snack. They’re not only addicting, but they would make a really nice gift. Yes, I’m already thinking holidays and have officially purchased my first Christmas gifts of the season. It’s not even October….could this be the year that I replace chaos with peace and joy? Stay tuned.
Anyway, I exercised restraint and whisked away the uneaten portion of walnuts and stashed them in the pantry. I had a plan. They sat on a shelf within eyesight of these two gems shown below.
My new favorite (and ultra easy to prepare) grain blend is Seeds of Change Seven Whole Grains. In this 90-second microwavable pouch, there are seven grains…long grain brown rice, barley, rye, bulgur, red winter wheat, quinoa and wild rice. It’s the nicest combination of slightly chewy, almost nutty with zero Earthy flavor. Even B gave this blend a thumbs up.
And then there is the sweetest little jar of honey. We attended a beautiful wedding this spring, where the bride and groom had a honey unity ceremony. We were later each given a honey pot as a wedding favor. It was time this sweetness found it’s way into a recipe.
Honey Walnut Shrimp Power Bowl felt hearty yet fresh. Shrimp are such a versatile low calorie, protein packed ingredient. We always have a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer to add to a stir fry, pasta or a Lunch Bowl. Lightly sautéed or steamed fresh veggies add nutrients and color to our bowl, while the honey mayo sauce brings a sweet heat and may be the star in this bowl. It’s reminiscent of the dreamy sauce that makes Bang Bang Shrimp so special.
Recipe note: to lower the calories in our protein bowl, up the fresh veggies and invite another friend to join you for lunch.
I think we have a winning flavor combination here. I loved to hear your thoughts below.
- 1 pouch Seeds of Change Seven Whole Grains or favorite
- ½ lb. medium shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1½ - 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- ½ cup Sweet & Sticky Walnuts, or plain walnut halves
- 1 fresno chile, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbl. peanut oil or other high heat oil
- 3 Tbl. light mayonnaise
- 3 Tbl. honey
- 2-3 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
- Prepare Whole Grains according to package instructions. Reserve.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Stir fry shrimp, broccoli, snap peas, walnuts and chile for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Remove from heat.
- Combine mayonnaise, honey and srirach then spoon over shrimp mixture and toss to coat.
- Divide grains into 2-3 bowls. Top each with Honey Walnut Shrimp. Serve immediately.
1,694 total views, 1 views today