This Easy Homemade Thai Sweet Chili Sauce came together in a snap!
Which was a good thing, because the Oven-Baked Bang Bang Chicken Wings were already in the oven! That’s how we roll.
If we don’t have an ingredient or element of a recipe my first thought is always “how do you make that from scratch?”
In this case, a key ingredient in Bang Bang Sauce is Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
There’s an addictive quality to sweet and spicy foods. And salty sweet too. Our tastebuds clearly enjoy getting a workout.
Here’s how the Easy Homemade Thai Sweet Chili Sauce came together!
To begin, bring water and rice wine vinegar to a boil. Then add sugar, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and ketchup and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add in cornstarch and whisk until well combined. Return mixture to a boil over medium heat and allow to cook down for an additional 7-10 minutes.
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce has the right balance of acid, sweet and heat. It’s a wonderful dipping sauce (good-bye Duck Sauce) and pairs perfectly as a glaze with baked salmon, stir-fried shrimp, or fried chicken!
All my best,
Easy Homemade Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger or 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 minced garlic cloves or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon natural red food coloring optional
- Bring water and rice vinegar to a boil. Whisk in sugar, ginger, garlic, ketchup, red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Whisk in cornstarch, then return to a boil and cook down for 7-10 minutes until reduced by almost half. Store in a jar in refrigerator for up to a week.