Homestyle Potato Salad.
Why do I wait for Summer to whisper in my ear….. Potato Salad. Make Potato Salad. Why? Everyone loves potato salad. Just say those words to someone and watch the expression on their face. See, they love it.
Today I made Homestyle Potato Salad to share with my work family. We’re having a great big Memorial Day Celebration. So I made a great big batch of potato salad. When the seat belt alarm in your car thinks your potato salad is a small human….that qualifies as a great big potato salad. So I strapped her in and headed to the office.
We all have our favorite potato salads. I have a couple recipes I use. Today I had a request for this version that I call Homestyle Potato Salad. It’s very basic, nice and creamy, and full of eggs. You’ll see in my recipe below that I also add diced onion, that I microwave for a minute or two before adding. I love onion, but don’t want it to overpower my potato salad. Also the only seasoning I use in this recipe is Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. It’s fabulous and delivers the right amount of salt and pepper flavor with a little personality. Enjoy.
Sometimes when you put on a great big Memorial Day Celebration, word gets out. Look who came to lunch!! Our favorite team from Fire Station #1. Love these guys!
- 5 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 12 eggs
- 1 large Vidalia or Sweet onion, diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced for garnish
- leafy lettuce for serving bowl
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1½ tsp. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- Boil whole unpeeled potatoes, until tender. Stick a fork in them, if they fall off immediately they're done. Cool slightly, then gently peel skins away. Cut potatoes into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Hard boil eggs, then peel. Reserve one egg for garnish. Dice remaining eggs, add to potatoes.
- Microwave diced onion in 2 Tbl. water for 2 minutes. Drain, then add to the potato/egg bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well blended. Then fold into the potato mixture, stirring until coated well.
- To serve, line serving bowl with leafy lettuce leaves. Scoop in potato salad. Garnish with sliced hard boiled egg, scallions and a sprinkle of cajun seasoning.
For a low-carb version of this Homestyle Potato Salad, substitute steamed Cauliflower in place of the potatoes. Cauliflower ‘Potato’ Salad is delicious.
Not a mayonnaise fan or looking for something different to take to that neighborhood picnic, try our Warm German Potato Salad. We think you’ll love it.
41,818 total views, 2 views today