Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
For our last several family gatherings we’ve decided our dinner menu would be a vast array of appetizers. We all, kids through Grammy and Granddaddy, love finger foods and this way no one is a slave to the kitchen. As each family comes through the door the assortment grows and a new round of grazing ensues. It’s fabulous.
There’s nothing fancy or complicated about these Crab Stuffed Mushrooms. They’re stuffed with a buttery crab cheese herb mixture that’s pretty hard not to love.
Recipe Note: one thing that I like to do with stuffed mushrooms is precook the mushrooms a bit before stuffing them. This accomplishes two things. First, fresh mushrooms inherently are moisture packed. This moisture is released through cooking. By precooking ever so slightly, you can encourage some of the moisture out which helps keep your stuffing pure. Precooking also helps ‘cook’ the mushrooms. Since the stuffing ingredients are mostly cooked ahead, stuffed mushrooms don’t require a long time to bake. If you precook them a bit, they’ll be tender when ready to serve.
For precooking, melt a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange mushroom caps in skillet, tops down, and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Blot with paper towels before stuffing.
The mushrooms can be stuffed ahead of time, making them a great appetizer for entertaining. Just pop them in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes and serve.
- 1 lb. button mushrooms
- 4 Tbl. butter, divided
- 1 shallot, fine diced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ fresh breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 1 cup crabmeat
- ½ tsp. Cajun seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms, reserve caps and chop stems.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 Tbl. butter, chopped mushroom stems, shallot, and thyme. Saute until tender. Remove from heat and add in cream cheese, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, crabmeat and Cajun seasoning. Stir well to combine. Remove from and reserve.
- Melt 1 Tbl. butter in skillet over medium heat. Arrange mushroom caps in skillet tops down, working in batches if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remove to paper towels. Allow mushrooms to rest for at least 5 minutes. Blot excess moisture with paper towels.
- Fill each mushroom cap with a generous spoonful of crabmeat mixture. Use hands to pack into cavity. Arrange stuffed mushrooms in a shallow baking dish. Drizzle tops with remaining tablespoon of butter, melted.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
37,225 total views, 3 views today