Chicken Piccata Meatballs Are A Favorite
Chicken Piccata Meatballs are a new favorite.
Huge Meatball Fan.
I’m forever pondering the possibilities.
If you’re ever looking for meatball inspiration check out my favorite recipes here.Jump to Recipe
My latest classic dish turned into a meatball lovefest are Chicken Piccata Meatballs.
Take all those Chicken Piccata comforting flavors and roll them up into meatball heaven. Enter capers, Parmesan cheese, lemon, garlic, fresh parsley. Oh and then let them bathe in a glorious caper butter wine sauce to soak in even more deliciousness.
Key ingredient: ground chicken.
Clearly not the most exciting or renowned for flavor.
On its own you could say it’s rather bland and underwhelming. But what it brings to a recipe is a wonderful moist texture and mild taste that begs for big punchy flavor. Welcome capers, lemon zest, garlic and parmesan cheese.
Combine all the meatball ingredients except the ground chicken, then gently fold in the meat being careful not to overwork the mixture.
Roll into uniform sized meatballs – I was able to get 20 meatballs.
Recipe Note: I made these meatballs Gluten Free by simply substituting GF Panko Breadcrumbs for traditional in the meatballs and Arrowroot in place of flour in the sauce.
Below is a pic of some of my current pantry staple favorites. Ian’s Gluten Free Panko is fantastic. So much so that we’ve replaced traditional panko in our home with it.
Working in batches, gently brown the meatballs in olive oil and remove to a plate. The meatballs will finish cooking in the sauce before serving.
Because this recipe includes a delicious lemon butter caper wine sauce I recommend serving the Chicken Piccata Meatballs over rice or pasta (I chose cauliflower rice) or with a big hunk of crusty bread.
These Chicken Piccata Meatballs are juicy and bursting with mouthwatering flavors. They’re amazing straight out of the pan or warmed up for lunch the next day!
Don’t forget to follow us @LemonyThyme on Instagram, TikTok and Facebook!
All my best,
Chicken Piccata Meatballs
For the Meatballs
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbl capers chopped
- 1 Tbl lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil for sauteing
For the Pan Sauce
- 3 Tbl. butter divided
- 1 Tbl. Flour or Arrowroot
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbl. capers + 1 Tbl. brine
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Meatballs
- Combine all meatball ingredients except ground chicken in a medium bowl. Gently fold in ground chicken until just combined being careful not to overwork mixture.
- Form mixture into unform sized meatballs, roughly 20. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, saute meatballs in olive oil until golden brown on all sides. Remove from pan.
For the Pan Sauce
- Melt 1 Tbl. butter in skillet, then dust with 1 Tbl. flour (or Arrowroot), whisk until foamy. Whisk in wine and bring to a simmer, then whisk in chicken broth, lemon juice, capers and return to a gentle simmer. Stir in remaining butter and return meatballs to pan. Simmer 5 minutes to complete cooking.
- Serve meatballs over rice or pasta or with a hunk of crusty bread. Enjoy!
Well this is wonderful! I made meatballs with a creamy caper sauce before, but you doubled up. Love it!
I figured why not pack the meatballs with all those yummy flavors too!! Hope you enjoy Chef!
I just put my shopping list together and I’m trying this tonight! Thanks for the recipe!
Great Bruce! I hope you love them like we did!!
Can’t wait to try this out!!!
Yay Ellie :) Let me know what you think!