It was high time for a new breakfast addition to the pages of Lemony Thyme. It is after all my favorite meal of the day. Eggs might be the one ingredient I couldn’t envision “giving up” (“live without” seems rather extreme….but it would be difficult).
Monday was Labor Day, a day off from work, a day off from labor. I lay in bed pondering the ingredients in my fridge, bouncing breakfast ideas around in my head, sounds of my growling stomach filling the air. I needed breakfast and I was on my own.
Entering the kitchen when you’re starvin’ like Marvin is almost as bad as entering the grocery store in such a state. I decided on Breakfast Taquitos, which would nicely incorporate an abundance of flour tortillas taking up space in the fridge. I then filled them with every breakfast item I could pull together. If you’re going in, go all in.
On top of each flour tortilla you’ll see shredded cheddar cheese, a nice crispy piece of thick cut applewood smoked bacon, scrambled eggs with sliced scallions, home fried potatoes with diced red pepper, and a little more cheese for good measure. I rolled them as tight as a I could and secured them with a toothpick.
I coated them with olive oil spray and baked them for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. The entire tortilla had a nice crunch and the edges browned up so perfectly. I removed the toothpicks and added a little more shredded cheese to the tops which melted quickly.
Breakfast Taquitos. Another recipe I was excited to take full credit for inventing. However, it seems they’ve been done a time or two before (not to mention being readily available in the freezer section of your local grocery store). So instead, I will quietly enjoy the fact that I now have a new portable breakfast favorite that can be easily adapted to incorporate the ingredients already in your fridge/pantry. Just think of the possibilities. I’m thinking a sautéed veggie & egg white with goat cheese crumbles would be quite special. I think butternut squash or maybe even pumpkin would be fabulous too. In fact I may have a Breakfast Taquito for dinner. Living on the edge.
- 4 flour tortillas
- spray olive oil
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 small baking potato
- 3 Tbl. fine diced red pepper or jalapeno
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbl. milk
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- ½ cup + 2 Tbl. shredded cheddar cheese
- scallions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line shallow baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prick baking potato several times with a fork and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Peel and dice.
- In a medium skillet cook bacon slices until crispy. Remove to paper towel to drain. Add diced potato and red pepper to skillet and sauté until pepper is tender. Add salt & pepper to taste. Remove potatoes and reserve.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, and milk. Add to skillet and scramble. Sprinkle with sliced scallion. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spray one side of flour tortillas with olive oil and place oil side down on parchment lined baking sheet. Assemble ¼th of each ingredient (reserving 2 Tbl. cheddar cheese) on tortilla and roll tightly. Use a toothpick to secure. Continue assembling remaining tortillas.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove toothpicks, sprinkle tops with a little shredded cheese and sliced scallion.
Simply freeze the filled taquitos before baking them. When ready to serve, place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes at 425 degrees until golden on edges.
25,947 total views, 2 views today