We got a new pellet smoker grill and have had that bad boy fired up every weekend since, which means for the most part I’ve had weekends off from cooking. At least cooking out of need vs. for fun. Smoked turkey breast and the heavenly broth that followed was the recipe inspiration for this Turkey Divan Soup.
An unseasonably cool September day was all the incentive I needed to make a pot of comfort and love. This recipe is going to be bookmarked for the weekend after Thanksgiving. Can’t think of a better way to incorporate leftover turkey, broth, even gravy. Other than say Traditional Turkey Divan or perhaps a Turkey Divan Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
This soup comes together very easily when you’re working with mostly leftover ingredients. Bring 5 cups of nice rich turkey stock (or Homemade Chicken Broth) and one cup of cream to a gentle boil. Whisk in a slurry of flour, cream and seasonings; then return to a boil.
Add diced turkey, gnocchi, sautéed onion, steamed broccoli florets and heat through.
I made my first batch of Homemade Gnocchi a couple weeks ago. I’ll be sharing that process soon. I froze half of them which is how they found their way into this soup. You could substitute with your favorite pasta. Our Turkey Divan Soup was very yummy topped with golden parmesan mushrooms, freshly cracked black pepper and a nice crusty bread. What a wonderful bowl of leftover love.
- 5 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 cups cream, divided
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning
- ¼ tsp. ground thyme
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 1 cup gnocchi or favorite cooked pasta
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- crusty bread, optional
- In a medium saucepan heat turkey stock with 1 cup cream to a gentle boil. Combine remaining cup of cream with flour, garlic & herb seasoning, thyme and pepper in a jar with lid. Shake until well combined, then whisk into stock. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Salt to taste. Add in cooked turkey, gnocchi and steamed broccoli.
- In a skillet, sauté onion until tender; add to soup pot. Add sliced mushrooms to skillet and sauté until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with about ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Serve soup in large bowls. Top with golden parmesan mushrooms and remaining parmesan cheese.
3,974 total views, 1 views today