At first this Turkey Divan Grilled Cheese Sandwich vision seemed a bit of a stretch. However, since it was born out of ingredients already in our fridge/pantry it was worth giving it a go. No risk, no reward.
We love recreating comfort food classics like Turkey Divan. And then re-recreating them into things like grilled cheese sandwiches. I make no excuses. Offer no apologies. Everything in moderation is what I say. Good laaawd this was good.
I schmeared the bread with a dijonnaise-thyme spread that gave it the extra flavor kick of casserole comfort. Smoked turkey, steamed broccoli, two kinds of cheese all sandwiched between buttery bread, then pan grilled into Turkey Divan Grilled Cheese Sandwich love.
I’ve come to embrace that one unctuous grilled cheese sandwich, shared by two, is a sure fire way to strengthen a relationship. Kind of like the saying “a couple who eats grilled cheese sandwiches together, stays together.”
- 2 ounces smoked turkey breast, sliced thin
- 1 cup steamed broccoli florets
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbl. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning
- freshly ground black pepper
- butter for pan grilling
- Heat cast iron or heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Combine Dijon herb spread ingredients and spread on both slices of bread. Layer one slice with shredded gruyere cheese, smoked turkey, broccoli florets, and shredded parmesan cheese; top with second slice of bread.
- Melt butter in pan and grill sandwich until nicely browned before turning and grilling second side. Using a bacon press or other weight is recommended for grilling.
6,955 total views, 3 views today