Our final recipe from “Team Grilled Cheese” comes from my daughter Shelby. If you’ve been following along, you know I’m attempting to share a different grilled cheese sandwich with our facebook fans every day in April aka National Grilled Cheese Month. Via text messages, recipe inspiration began to pour in. Why not a breakfast grilled cheese?!!
You may recognize the concept popularized by McD’s but this breakfast grilled cheese sandwich is made with ‘real’ ingredients. And this gorgeous photo from Shelby couldn’t sell it any better.
If you don’t already have a jug of this in your fridge you’re missing out. Pure Maple Syrup is not only essential on The Real McGriddle, but it’s a wonderful natural sweetener, beautiful in dressings and marinades, and heavenly drizzled over ice cream. When we moved south from New Hampshire I connected with a sugar house not far from our home town. I went online and bought one jug for Shelby and one jug for us. Best $20 I’ve spent in a long time.
I can’t thank my girls Sarah, Maya, Jen, Kate & Shelby enough for their help with my crazy idea of sharing 30 grilled cheese sandwiches in 30 days. Just two more days to go. I think I can. I think I can.
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 Tbl. & ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbl. sugar
- 1¼ cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbl. melted butter
- oil for grilling
- 8 strips bacon, cooked crispy
- 4 eggs, fried
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup real maple syrup, warmed slightly
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Make a well in the center and slowly mix in milk, egg and butter. Whisk well.
- Oil a skillet or griddle. Working in batches, make 8 pancakes.
- Layer pancake with fried egg, cheddar cheese, 2 strips of bacon, drizzle of maple syrup, and top with second pancake.
3,502 total views, 4 views today