Why not turn this favorite chicken recipe into a grilled cheese? If I can put Spaghetti & Meatballs into a grilled cheese, Monterey Chicken seemed like a natural. Grilled chicken breast with smoky hickory bbq sauce, crispy bacon, lots of cheese, sliced tomato and diced jalapeno & scallion….sounds amazing right?
Pile that high on some crusty bread, pan grill it in butter, and call me one happy camper. Actually, split this with a friend…and make that two happy campers.
Monterey Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 4-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 strips bacon
- 2-3 Tbl. hickory bbq sauce or favorite
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack/cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 Roma tomato sliced
- 1 jalapeno fine diced
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- butter for grilling
- Cook bacon slices in a skillet until crispy. Remove to drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tsp. bacon drippings.
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness. Pan grill until golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side or until chicken registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Remove from pan.
- Butter bread slices and add to skillet. Top each slice with shredded cheese and grill until golden brown on the bottom and the cheese has melted. Place chicken breasts on two slices of bread.
- Top each grilled chicken breasts with a schmear of bbq sauce, two slices of crispy bacon, sliced tomato, diced jalapeno & scallion and a second cheesy bread slice.
7,183 total views, 8 views today