Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy.
Today is a special day and that is why we are having Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy, served over Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with a side of green peas. It makes perfect sense to me. I wanted to prepare and share a dish that said “when I am with you I am complete and comfortable”. And I’m not speaking to the Salisbury Steak.
Salisbury Steak isn’t much more than kicked-up hamburger patties braised in mushroom gravy. Almost like mini-meatloaves, sautéed in butter, then finished in a nice rich mushroom gravy. I really like the mushroom gravy.
Although, I’ve probably seen just as many recipes for Salisbury Steak with an Onion Gravy, so I say get happy and take it in the direction that makes you and yours complete and comfortable.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbl. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tbl. dried shallot and roasted garlic
- (or 1 garlic clove & 1 shallot clove, minced)
- ½ tsp. freshly cracked pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbl. butter, for pan frying
- 1 Tbl. butter
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbl. fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 Tbl. flour
- 1½ - 2 cups beef broth
- salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Combine ingredients and form into 3-4 oval shaped patties. Melt 1 Tbl. butter in a large skillet, sauté patties 4-5 minutes per side over medium heat until nicely browned. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add 1 Tbl. butter, sliced mushrooms, and shallots and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add the fresh thyme and cook an additional minute. Dust mixture with flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. The mixture will be thick. Gradually stir in beef broth ½ cup at a time, allowing mixture to come to a boil in between each addition. Add more broth until desired thickness is achieved. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return steak patties to gravy, reduce heat to low, and allow to braise until patties are cooked through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes with fresh parsley to garnish.
241,255 total views, 132 views today