A couple of weeks ago, while perusing the isles of my local thrift store, I scored this amazing Romertopf Clay Baker. I knew at that moment my first dish baked in this vessel would be Roast Chicken. As I’ve commented on in the past we cook a whole chicken almost every week. We change up our recipes and cooking methods and it’s always delicious.
After doing suitable research on cooking in a clay baker we decided our first chicken should be kept simple so that our ‘success measure’ was judged based on the cooking method.
One word. MOIST. Okay maybe two words. MOIST & JUICY. The clay baker delivered as promised. And the presentation was beautiful as well.
First rule with a clay baker is to completely submerge the top and bottom in water and soak for 30 minutes prior to cooking. We then layered the bottom with onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and fresh herbs. Sage, Rosemary, Lemony Thyme, and Oregano Sprigs.
I love when I’m able to photograph dishes in outdoor natural lighting. And I love my backyard this thyme of year.
We allowed our washed and dried chicken to come to room temperature before placing in baker on top of veggies and herbs. This can take 1 1/2 – 2 hours and will insure even cooking. Sprinkled with salt & pepper and covered. Placed baker in a cold oven and then turned temp. to 450 degrees. Baked covered for 1 hour and uncovered for an additional 30 minutes or until skin was browned and chicken was done. As always let stand at least 15 minutes before carving (or picking). Wonderfully moist and juicy Roast Chicken one pot meal. We’re going to turn up the spice for our next Romertopf Clay Baker dinner….any suggestions?
- 1 4-5 lb. whole chicken
- 6-8 small potatoes, cut in half
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 10+ baby carrots
- 1 lg. onion cut into ⅛ths
- 8-10 mushroom caps
- 2-3 sprigs fresh lemony thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh sage
- 2-3 sprigs fresh oregano
- salt & pepper
- Wash and dry chicken. Allow to come to room temperature (or about 70 degrees) before placing in oven, about 1½ hours.
- Put veggies and herbs in baker and place chicken on top. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Place baker in a cold oven and then turn temp. to 450 degrees. Bake covered for 1 hour.
- Remove cover and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes or until skin is browned and chicken is done.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
Based on reader feedback, I have adjusted the cooking temperature to 450 degrees.
34,634 total views, 1 views today