I have this bag of baking supplies that I hide out of sight in the hall coat closet. My logic is questionable since I (1) hid it, and (2) it’s been discovered. It contains everything from Peanut M&M’s to Hershey’s Kisses to Ferrero Rocher, plus assorted other essentials like chocolate chips, shredded coconut, marshmallows, and Heath toffee bits.
Today, on my day off, I turned to that coat closet treasure with the intention of cleaning it out.
Instead I made S’Mores Scones.
I don’t know. Wasn’t on the radar. Too good not to share. I made S’Mores Scones that were fantabulous, especially still warm from the oven. I’ll be sharing the love with these at the office tomorrow.
As we begin to wind down from Summer Thyme, there are some recipes that can bring us back in less than 30 minutes. S’Mores Scones can now be one of those recipes.
I followed the basics from my Savory Caprese Scones recipe, that I adapted from Joy the Baker. Click HERE for some Scone making tips that yield delicious pillowy, tender results every time. Savory or sweet.
Recipe inspiration…Chocolate chips, mini-marshmallows, and
graham crackers vanilla cream wafers. I was in my favorite x-mas jammies and wasn’t about to leave the house. Vanilla cream wafers, leftover from this Ferrero Rocher Cake recipe made a suitable substitution. Take note, scones are forgiving and allow for ingredient creativity.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- ¾ cup sour cream, cold
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup vanilla wafers, rough crushed
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter. Mixture will resemble coarse meal.
- In another bowl, combine egg, sour cream, vanilla and water. Beat lightly with a fork. Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork to make a shaggy dough. Add the marshmallows, chocolate chips and vanilla wafers. Pour out onto a clean surface and knead about 10 to 15 times, until it just comes together.
- Pat out into a 1-inch thick circle. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 16 wedges. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
2,796 total views, 1 views today