We affectionately call these “Pepins.” Jacques Pepin has shared many wonderful recipes with the world, but these potatoes were a gift to us all. Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes braised in buttery chicken broth, then gently ‘smashed’ and allowed to caramelize in the pan.
Place potatoes in a heavy bottom skillet. Add butter, salt, pepper and cover half way with chicken broth. Simmer covered on medium-low until potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes.
Remove lid and continue to simmer until broth has evaporated, another 5 minutes or so.
Use the back of a ladle or large spoon and crack the potatoes. Don’t mash them, just break them open. Allow potatoes to brown, then gently turn them over and brown the other side. Adding a little extra butter to encourage browning never hurts.
To serve, place Pepin Potatoes in a serving bowl; dot with butter and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Smashed Potatoes are so versatile. They’re wonderful served along side a roast of any kind or we love them in place of fries with a nice juicy burger.
- 2 lb. baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Place potatoes in a single layer in a heavy bottom pan. Dot with butter. Add enough chicken broth to come half way up potatoes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Simmer covered over medium-low heat until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Using a ladle or back of a large spoon, crack each potato. Brown potatoes on each side, adding butter if needed.
- Remove to a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
9,817 total views, 2 views today