I remember sitting outside at a patio table, sipping on a margarita, and soaking in the first glimpse of summer. It was twenty years ago and the name of the restaurant escapes me now but the Monterey Chicken does not.
Perfectly grilled chicken breasts topped with smoky hickory bbq sauce, crispy bacon, and Monterey jack cheese baked until golden and bubbly. Finished with a handful of diced tomato, jalapeno & scallion. It’s been years since I’ve recreated Monterey Chicken but the first taste of summer sun brought it right back into my sweet spot.
Monterey Chicken is a great week night meal that the entire family will love. While the chicken is grilling, slice and dice your toppings. Then finish in the oven. You’ll have a colorful and oh so flavorful dish on the table in about 30 minutes.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 strips bacon
- 2-3 Tbl. hickory bbq sauce (or favorite)
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack/cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, fine diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Grill chicken breasts until almost done (about 155 degrees).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Top each grilled chicken breasts with a schmear of bbq sauce, two slices of crispy bacon and a handful of shredded cheese. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and chicken registers 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with diced tomato, jalapeno and scallion. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
9,127 total views, 1 views today